07 Dec 2011
Use this theme on github
How to create your own blog on github using this Jekyll theme.
If you have a github account, you can easily use this minimalist theme to create your own blog by following these few steps.
Fork the project
- Fork the project on github, available here
- Rename the rep to your_github_username.github.com
- After a few minutes, it should be available at http://your_github_username.github.com
Configure the theme
To get everything working properly, a few things need to be configured.
- Clone your rep
- Edit _config.yml
- Change at least your Google Analytics ID and Disqus short name
- Commit and push to github
Customize the home and about page
The contents of these pages are plain HTML fragments:
Add some posts
- Delete existing posts under _posts/
- Add new posts using the naming convention _posts/YYYY-MM-DD-post-slug.md (if using markdown formatting)
- Push to github!
Running the site locally
- install ruby
- $ gem install jekyll
- $ jekyll ‐‐server ‐‐auto
- $ navigate to http://localhost://4000
Hack and have fun
Feel free to modify the theme and notify me if you make something nice with it.